Test your customer's email campaign experience
Create a campaign and send a test email to yourself to experience what happens when your customers receive your email campaign.
In this article:
How to create a custom segment
⚠️ Important: To create a custom segment, you need to have a customer account on Marsello. If you don't have an account, simply add yourself as a customer on your POS or eCommerce platform, this will sync your email address into Marsello.
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers > Segments
2. Click Create a segment
3. Name your segment e.g. Email Test Group
If you want to add more than one email address to this segment, you can follow the below steps (optional)
a) Under Segment conditions, click Add Group then click OR to update the group conditions
b) Click Add Condition then follow the email steps below
Your segment will now show under Segments and as an audience option in Campaigns.
How to send an email to custom segment
1. In your Marsello admin, under Skills, click Campaigns
2. Click Create Campaign
3. In Audience settings, under Choose your audience, click Selected customer segments
6. Click Next Step to edit an email template
7. In the email template content builder on the right-hand side, drag-and-drop the content blocks that you want to include.
- Product recommendations block: Add product recommendations to see the types of products that are recommended. Marsello automatically recommends personalized products for each customer based on their previous purchases and customers just like them. If the customer has never made a purchase, Marsello will automatically recommend your store's most popular products.
📖 Keep reading: Add a Product Recommendation Content block to your email template
- Discount block: Create a discount that is attached to the email campaign to be able to try claim and redeem a unique discount code.
📖 Keep reading: Add a Discount block to your email template
- Text Block: Add loyalty program and/or referral program merge tags to your email template. Marsello will automatically populate the merge tags with the customer's details e.g. loyalty points balance, unique referral link, VIP tier name.
📖 Keep reading: How to personalize your email marketing with merge tags
8. Click Save
9. Click Next Step
10. Review and confirm your campaign, then click Send Now
Your email campaign will then begin to send, this can take up to 15mins at peak times.
How it works – Interact with your email campaign
1. In your email inbox, open your email campaign.
2. Review your email content and design
3. Click the different content blocks
- Click Claim code to access your unique discount code. This will lead you to your loyalty widget open with the unique discount code which you can use at checkout.
📝 Note: This is an active discount code. You can use this discount code online (or in-store) to test the redemption process. Or if you want to delete this discount code you can do so by following these instructions.
- Click View next to the product recommendations. This will lead you to that product on your online store.
📝 Note: If you are an in-store only retailer, the Product recommendations block automatically removes the call-to-action buttons.
You can also test:
- Shop Now button
- Social media buttons
- Unsubscribe link
📝 Note: In the 'test email,' there are certain content blocks that are unable to be populated or interacted with because they are not attached to a customer's account. These content blocks/merge tags include:
- Discount block
- Product recommendations block
- Unique referral link merge tags
- Loyalty program merge tags
To completely test the customer's email campaign experience, you can create a custom segment and email campaign to send to yourself. This will allow you to interact with your email campaign from your customers' perspective so you can test the product recommendations, discount blocks, different merge tags and more.
Duplicate your email campaign ready to send to your customers
1. In your Marsello admin, under Campaigns, click Email,
2. Identify your test email campaign
4. Click Copy to duplicate the email campaign
7. Click Next Step to edit an email template
8. Make any adjustments to the email template (if required)
9. Click Save
10. Click Next Step
11. Review and confirm your campaign and then choose to Send Now or Schedule the email to send later.
Your email campaign will then be ready to send to your chosen customers at your chosen time.