Create a custom segment
Customer segmentation allows you to create specific customer groups, which you can send targeted marketing campaigns to, or export as individual customer lists.
Examples of the types of segments you can create include customers who have purchased from a specific product collection signed up via a certain sign-up form or purchased within a certain timeframe.
In this article:
What is a segment?
A segment is a group of your customers defined by conditions (or rules) that you set. Customers are automatically added to each segment when they match the exact conditions.
Segment conditions and settings
You can create segments based on any combination of the following condition groups:
1. Customer profile data
Allows you to segment your customers by their first name, last name, gender, account creation date, mobile country code and more.
2. Purchase data
Allows you to segment your customers by their purchase data, including their last purchase date, total number of purchases, products they've previously purchased, sites they purchased from and more.
📝 Please note: purchase data does not include historical orders from before Marsello was installed.
3. Loyalty program data
Allows you to segment your customers by their loyalty program details, including Current Points Balance, Total Points Collected and Current VIP Tier (if your Loyalty program and VIP Program are enabled).
4. Feedback data
Allows you to segment your customers by their Feedback Satisfaction Ratings and Last Feedback Received Date (if Feedback is enabled).
5. Email marketing data
Allows you to segment your customers according to which sign-up form they joined your mailing list through and their engagement with your email campaigns.
How to create a custom segment
1. Within your Marsello navigation menu, go to Customers > Segments.
2. Click Create Segment
4. Click Add Condition or Add Group
5. Select the field that you want to segment your customers by
6. Next to the field, select the operator that you'd like to use.
📝 Please note: There are different operators depending on which field name you select:
- True or false based field names have: Is and Is not
- Date based field names have: Is, Is not, before, after, between, X days ago.
- Number based field names have: Is, Is not, greater than, less than, and between.
7. Then, select or enter the value
8. Click Add Condition to add another segment condition
Repeat the above steps to add more conditions. You can add as many conditions to your segment as needed.
To create more advanced segments, you can use Groups to combine certain conditions. If you use groups, take extra care to ensure that the and/or function is correctly assigned (this can greatly affect who enters your segment).
📝 Please note: Multiple conditions are automatically set to the 'and' rule by default. Toggle this switch to create an 'or' rule.
9. Once you’ve set your segment conditions, click Preview Segment to see a sample of the customers who meet your segment conditions
In the preview, you can see how many customers currently meet the segment conditions.
10. Click Save and Create Segment
You can choose to export each segment for more detailed reporting at any time.