If you have a customer list that is not in your POS and/or eCommerce store, you will need to get an export of your customer list that includes
First name (required)
Email address (required)
Mobile (if applicable)
If you want to import customers' points balances, please follow the Switch to Marsello from another marketing platform guide.
If your customer list is over 1000 customers, it is highly recommended to import this list directly into your POS or eCommerce store instead of into Marsello. Due to API limitations, uploading this list into your POS or eCommerce platform will be a lot faster than uploading this list into Marsello.
Please review your customer list to make sure that you are only importing customers who accept marketing from your store.
Prepare your CSV file ready to import into Marsello
To ensure that your customer list is successfully imported into Marsello, it is important to update your CSV file format following the below steps:
1. Open your CSV as a spreadsheet.
2. Delete all columns except the following:
First Name (values are required)
Email Address (values are required)
⚠️ Important: The customer's first name and email address are required. If these values are missing, the CSV file cannot be imported into Marsello.
3. Update your column heading text to be the following:
First Name Column → Firstname
Last Name Column → Lastname
Email Address Column → Email
Mobile Number Column → Mobile
📝 Note: For email and mobile, be sure to only import valid email addresses and mobile numbers. When entering mobile numbers, please include the customer's country code with no additional characters. Example: +14165550000. If you don't have the customer's mobile number, leave this blank.
💡Quick Tip: To save a file as a .CSV, in the spreadsheet tool, this can often be found under Export to or Download as in the settings menu.
Import your customer database CSV file into Marsello
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers. From the drop-down called Update customer list, select Import Customers.
The next two setting steps are optional
2. OPTIONAL: Next to Give 'Account Creation' loyalty points for new customers you can select the checkbox to award the 'Create an Account' points set under the Loyalty program to all newly created customers (i.e. customers who are created in Marsello via the CSV import).
3. OPTIONAL: Under Tag any imported customer(s) with the label, you can enter a custom tag name in the text box. This will automatically tag the customers' profiles in Marsello with the tag on import.
4. Click Upload file to start the import
⚠️ Important: By importing customers you are confirming that any newly added customers accept marketing. Please remove any customers who don't accept marketing from your CSV. before uploading.
5. Click Upload data from file, then select the CSV file from your computer.
6. Double-check if the first row of your spreadsheet has the Column Headers (titles),
If the first row does contain Column Headers, click Yes
If the first row doesn't contain your Column Headers, click No
📝 Note: You may need to re-format your CSV file and upload it again.
7. Double check your Column headers (titles) match Marsello's customer fields
📝 Note: This is to ensure your customer's details are populated in the correct field in their Marsello profile i.e. the customer's first name is populated in the 'Firstname' field.
8. Review your CSV File. Click the toggle Only show rows with problems to see the customer row(s) that may not be able to be imported into Marsello.
Common reasons include:
The row is blank and doesn't include any details
The first name doesn't start with a letter or includes special characters e.g. #$^&
The email must contain a valid email address
The mobile must start with a + or numbers e.g. +6127123123 or 027123123
The CSV file contains over 100,000 customers (100,000 is the maximum number of customers who can be imported at one time)
9. Fix any rows with problems (you can do this within the table in-app)
10. Click Complete to start importing your CSV file. Your CSV File will automatically start to import into Marsello.