When you connect your POS and/or eCommerce store to Marsello, your customer database will automatically synced into Marsello.
If you have a customer list that is not yet in your POS and/or eCommerce store, you will need to get an export of your customer list that includes:
First name (required)
Email address (required)
Points balance (if applicable)
Mobile (if applicable)
Prepare your CSV file ready to import into Marsello
To ensure that your customer list is successfully imported into Marsello, it is important to update your CSV file format following the below steps.
1. Open your CSV as a spreadsheet
2. Delete all columns except the following:
First Name (values are required)
Email Address (values are required)
Points Balance (values are required, please include a 0 if not applicable)
3. Update your column heading text to be the following:
First Name Column → Firstname
Last Name Column → Lastname
Email Address Column → Email
Points Balance Column → Points
Mobile Number Column → Mobile
📝 Note: When adding the Mobile and Points values, please keep in mind:
Email & Mobile: Only import valid email addresses and mobile numbers.
Mobile: When entering please include the customer's country code or if you don't have the customer's mobile number, please leave this blank.
Points: If you don't want to adjust customers' points balances, please enter 0 into the points column.
4. Save your file a as a .CSV file
💡Tip: To save a file as a .CSV, in the spreadsheet tool, this can often be found under Export to or Download as in the settings menu.
Import your customer database CSV file into Marsello
1. In your Marsello Admin, go to Customers. From the drop-down menu called Update customer list, select Import Customers
The next two import steps are optional
2. [Optional]: Update the custom tag so you can create a segment from this import
3. [Optional]: Select the checkbox to give customers account creation points
💡Tip: If you are importing a specific list from another platform, adding a custom tag will allow you to create a group of segments.
4. Click Upload CSV
5. Click Upload data from file, then select the CSV file from your computer OR copy and paste your data into the built-in spreadsheet
6. Double check if the first row of your spreadsheet is the Column Header (e.g. Firstname, Lastname, Email, Points)
Select your header row and click next
7. Map your columns and click next
📝 Note: You may need to re-format your CSV file and then upload it again.
8. Verify the data you are importing.
📝 Note: This is to ensure your customer's details are populated in the correct field in their Marsello profile i.e. the customer's first name is populated in the 'Firstname' field.
9. Review your CSV File. Click the toggle Only show rows with problems to see the customer row(s) that may not be able to be imported into Marsello.
Common reasons include:
The row is blank and doesn't include any details
The first name doesn't start with a letter or includes special characters e.g. #$^&
The email must contain a valid email address
The mobile must start with a + or numbers e.g. +6127123123 or 027123123
The CSV file contains over 100,000 customers (100,000 is the maximum number of customers who can be imported at one time)
10. Fix any rows with problems (you can do this within the table in-app)
11. Click Submit to start importing your CSV file. You will then need to click upload CSV File on the popup that appears after clicking submit to import into Marsello.
Confirm your column headers match with the fields Marsello requires by clicking Confirm mapping for each column header
📝 Note: This import may take up to 24 hours, depending on the size of your database.