Earn points for referring friends
In this article:
How to set up your referral program
1. In your Marsello admin, under Loyalty, go to Earning Points & Referrals.
2. Under Referring friends, click edit
3. Under the section, 'Advocate incentive' Enter the number of points you would like to reward your customers when they've made a successful friend referral.
4. Under the section, 'Referred friend incentive', create an incentive for the referred friend to make their first purchase. For example, 15% off.
- Enter a title: Give your discount a title to let the friend know what the discount is
- Enter a discount amount: Make sure it matches the discount specified in the title
- Select the discount type: Dollars off, Percentage Off, or Free Shipping.
📝 Note: A successful friend referral is when the referred friend makes their first purchase and becomes a new customer.
5. Click Save.
How it works – your customers' experience
Your customer – the referrer
When your customers log in to their store account and open the Earn tab of your loyalty widget, they will see your Refer a friend earn option.
This will display the customer's unique referral link.
They can then click-to-copy or click-to-share this link on the channel that they use to chat with their friends to make spreading the word quick and easy. For example, Facebook, Email or WhatsApp, etc.
They can then customize a post that they'd like to share with their friends and family on their chosen channel. For example Facebook:
📝 Note: The customer will not receive referral points at this stage. Points are rewarded when their friend makes their first purchase.
Their friend – the referred
The referred friend clicks through the shared unique referral link. They will then need to enter their name & email address. Their unique discount code will then be sent to their email inbox, ready for them to use on their first purchase.
Important: Ensure that your Referral Incentive Discount (Email) automation is turned on, so that the referred friend receives their unique discount code.
📝Note: If you have your Referral Incentive Discount (Email) automation turned on, your customer will automatically be notified by email.
If you are still using the Referral Discount Email loyalty notification, please view the How to move your loyalty notifications into automations article to enable the Referral Incentive Discount (Email) automation.
Key benefits of the loyalty notification switch:
- REPORTING! You will now be able to track sends, opens, and clicks of your Loyalty emails - which has never been available before.
- Customization! You will be able to use automation templates and further customize the email using the familiar drag-and-drop builder so no more editing HTML
- You can now send Loyalty Notifications to your customers via SMS, check them out here
Track the performance of your referral program
Once you've set up your referral program and turned it on, you can track its progress. Here's how:
1. In your Earning Points & Referrals > Referring Friends
2. Click the down arrow beside the edit button and then click View reporting.
On the Referring Friends insights page, you can see:
- Customers who completed this action
- Who the customer successfully referred
- Referred friend's redeemed discount title and code
- The date the discount code claimed
- Total revenue from the referred friend's first order
Article is closed for comments.