Receiving email & SMS marketing opt-in with Heartland Retail POS
🔓 SMS Campaigns are an add-on feature to the Marsello Pro Plan.
As mentioned in the SMS Marketing Compliance Introduction and GDPR Introduction, to collect SMS and Email Marketing opt-in from your customers, there will be some changes that you need to make to your staff training processes for how to sign-up new customers via Heartland Retail POS.
In this article
- How customers opt-in to marketing via Marsello's sign-up forms
- How customers opt-in to marketing in-store via Heartland Retail POS
- To use Marsello on your Heartland Retail POS, please enable the required sites under the Integrations page.
Before you get started
Here are some things to know:
- For Marsello to collect mobile numbers as subscribers for SMS messages, you will need to make sure that your staff members are asking the customer if they want to receive SMS and email marketing from your store (more details below).
- Marsello's “Accepts Marketing" consent on the customer's Marsello loyalty & marketing profile will impact both email and SMS subscriptions. This means that if the customer accepts marketing and the staff member turns this setting on, then the customer is agreeing to receive promotional email and SMS messages from your store.
- TCIA prohibits any illegal or improper promotion to persons under 18 years of age. Based on the practices and standards of your industry and community, you will need to discourage visitors under a certain age from creating an account at your store.
- In addition to that, we advise you to always include the ability for customers to opt-out from receiving marketing. By default, Marsello automatically includes an 'unsubscribe' link on all email templates and 'Reply STOP to unsubscribe' on all SMS templates.
We also still encourage you to consult a legal advisor familiar with GDPR, TCPA and TCIA before gathering contacts or sending promotional emails or text messages.
How customers opt-in to marketing via Marsello's sign-up forms
Marsello's landing page form template comes with a text disclaimer that lets the customer know that by submitting the form, they are opting in to receive both transactional and promotional email and SMS messages from your store.
*I agree to receive transactional and promotional emails and text messages (to the email address and phone number provided). Consent is not a condition to purchase. You can opt out or change your email and SMS preferences anytime.
📖 Learn More: How to create sign-up forms in Marsello
⚠️ Important: If you are using another app for sign-up forms, you need to update your forms to also include such a disclaimer that informs the customer that by submitting the form, they are opting-in to receive both email and SMS marketing from your store.
How customers opt-in to marketing in-store via Heartland Retail POS
When a new customer makes a purchase in-store, the staff member will ask if they would like to create a store account. It is very important that during this process the staff member asks the customer if they want to receive marketing sent via email and SMS.
To record the customers' accepts marketing preferences, the staff member needs to:
1. Add the customer to the sale
2. Click Show Rewards button to open the customer's loyalty & marketing profile
3. Update the accepts marketing setting
If the customer accepts marketing via email and SMS:
The staff member will switch the Accepts Marketing toggle to ON.
The customer will then be automatically added/updated in your Marsello database, and they will be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store.
If the customer does not accept marketing:
The staff member will ensure the Accepts Marketing toggle is set to OFF
By default, the customer does not accept marketing, so there is nothing additional that the staff member needs to do.
The customer will be automatically added/updated to your Marsello database and will not be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store.
When you have followed all of the above guidelines, you then need to confirm that you've made the changes in Marsello.
1. In your Marsello admin, navigate to Campaigns > SMS Campaign
🎉 Congratulations you can now start collecting customers' consent to receive email and SMS marketing via Marsello and Heartland Retail POS.