How points expiry works
Points Expiry is the ability to automatically reset the customers' points balance to 0 after a set timeframe of inactivity. If the customer hasn't earned or spent points within the set timeframe, their points balance will expire.
📝 Note: Points expiry is set on a rolling basis. If the customer hasn't earned or spent points within the set timeframe their loyalty points balance will automatically reset to zero.
How to set up points expiry
1. In your Marsello Admin, go to Loyalty > Settings. Scroll down to Loyalty program settings and under Points expiry, select the timeframe of inactivity from the drop-down.
2. Next to Points expiry, click on the toggle to turn Points Expiry ON
3. A popup will then appear providing you with an option to send a notification email to those customers already meeting the inactivity criteria. You may also postpone the expiration of these customers' points as a one-off gesture of goodwill. This is to prevent their points from immediately expiring without warning. Click Yes, enable points expiry to confirm that you want to turn Points Expiry on.
Points expiry will now be enabled on for your loyalty program.
Set up automated points expiry notification emails
1. In your Marsello admin go to Loyalty > Loyalty Automations. Scroll to the Points Expiry Series - Reactivation Email and click Edit to customize the content of the template (optional)
📖 Learn More: Customize your loyalty automation templates
2. Next Points expiry - reactivation email, click on the toggle to turn this email ON. A popup form will appear to confirm the automation will begin to send. Click Enable.
The points expiry automation will begin to send to customers whose points are due to expire.
How it works – Your customers' experience
If the customer hasn't earned or spent points in your selected timeframe, their loyalty points balance will automatically reset to zero.
If you have the Points expiry automation enabled your customers will receive a notification email 30 days before their points are due to expire to encourage them to take action to keep their existing points balance. Customers will also receive a notification email 1 day before their points are due to expire to encourage them to take action to keep their existing points balance.
If the customers' points balance has expired, when they next log in to their loyalty profile, they will see their points balance has been removed.
FAQ – Common questions on Points Expiry
Q. Will customers be notified if their points are about to expire?
A. You can choose to turn on points expiry automation customers will automatically be notified before their points are about to expire. This will encourage your customers to use their loyalty points or make a purchase in order to keep their existing points balance.
Q. What happens to pending points?
A. If the customer still has pending points when their points are expired, those points will remain pending.
Q. Where can I view the customer's expired point balances?
A. When the customer's points balance has expired, this is added as an activity under the customer's profile in the Marsello admin. Here you can see the total points that expired and the date the points balance expired.
Q. Are points expiry email considered to be transactional?
A. The first email or SMS within the points expire automation is transactional.