Staff Training – How to add customers to your program in-store with Shopify POS
The following are step-by-step instructions on how to add a new customer to your loyalty program & marketing list in-store with Shopify POS.
ℹ️ Your first site (eCommerce or POS) is included in Marsello's Pro Plan.
🔓 Additional sites are charged at an extra cost. Learn more on pricing.
In this article:
How to add a new customer to your Marsello customer database
To add a new customer to your Marsello customer database, all you need to do is add the customer to the sale in Shopify POS.
1. Add the customer's products that they want to buy to the sale
2. Tap Add customer
4. Add your new customer's First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Mobile Number*
📝 Note: Only First Name, Last Name, and Email address are required information for your customers to be added to your Marsello customer database. Their mobile number is optional. Should you choose to collect mobile numbers, ensure the country code is included and no other formatting such as spaces, brackets, or hyphens.
How to update the customer's accepts marketing preference
When a new customer makes a purchase in-store, the staff member will ask if they would like to create a store account. It is very important that during this process, the staff member asks the customer if they want to receive marketing sent via email and SMS.
By default, customers do not accept marketing, they need to opt-in to be able to receive marketing sent via Marsello.
1. Under Customer Options section, you can easily opt-in your customer in to receive marketing or not. If they accept marketing via email and SMS, toggle Accepts Marketing to ON.
The customer's accepts marketing preference will then be synced into their Marsello profile, and they will be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store sent via Marsello.
If they don't accept marketing via email and SMS, please ensure the Accepts Marketing toggle remains OFF. This customer will not receive email or SMS marketing from your store sent via Marsello.
2. Tap Save. The customer will then be added to the sale.
3. Complete the sale
How it works – your customers' experience
After you have completed the sale, your customer will be added to your Marsello customer database.
- The customer will automatically earn loyalty points for their purchase
- They will also receive the Earned Points loyalty notification email (if turned on)
- If the customer accepts marketing, they'll be able to receive your next marketing campaign(s) and any enabled automation(s)
Find the new customer in your Marsello admin
After the sale is completed, the customer will automatically be added to your Shopify POS and Marsello customer lists. Please note this can take up to 15 minutes for the sync to complete.
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers
2. Search for the customer by name or email address
3. Click the customer's name to open their profile
Under the customer's profile, you can:
- See profile details (name, email, mobile, marketing status synced from Shopify POS)
- See order details (order number, date, and loyalty points calculation summary)
- Manage their account (adjust their points balance, unsubscribe them from emails, remove them from your customer list, etc)