How do I adjust customers' loyalty points balances?
You can manually adjust an individual or group of customers loyalty points balances. Common reasons to manually adjust a customer's points balance are; for leaving a great review on Facebook or Yelp, to thank a customer for their feedback, to apologize for poor service or late delivery.
In this article:
How to adjust an individual customer's points balance
1. In your Marsello Admin, go to Customers
2. Search for the customer by name or email address
3. Select the customer by clicking on their Name
4. Under their customer profile, click Adjust points balance
5. Enter the number of points you would like to add or remove from the customer's points balance.
- To increase the customer's points, enter the number of points you would like to add to their balance e.g. 12
- To decrease the customer's points, enter a minus sign before the number points you would like to remove from their balance, e.g. -12.
6. Choose to send the customer a Points Earned Email (Optional).
If you would like to notify the customer of their updated points balance:
- Select the tick-box next to Send points notification email to customer?
- Add a short message in the text box to notify customer why their points balance was updated.
7. Click Apply points adjustment to confirm the points adjustment
The customer's points balance will automatically be updated. The manual points adjustment will display as a new line on the customer's activity feed.
If you chose to send a Points Earned Email, the customer will be notified of their new points balance.
How to adjust a group of customers' points balances
Prepare your CSV file ready to import into Marsello
If you have a specific list of customers that you want to tag from your POS/eCommerce platform or previous email marketing tool, please get an export and then follow the below steps to format it ready for the Marsello importer.
1. Start a blank spreadsheet with two columns:
- The First Column can be set up with one of the following identifiers:
- Vend customer ID
- Shopify customer ID
- The Second Column is required to be Points.
2. Enter the unique identifier (for example, the below screenshot is using the Marsello ExportId) of the customers' who you want to tag with your custom tag.
- If you do not wish to add any points, ensure that the points column has 0 next to each identifier.
3. Copy the two columns to your clipboard.
Import your data into Marsello
1. In your Marsello Admin, go to Customers > All Customers
2. Click Actions in the top left corner
3. In the drop-down select Import points
4. A pop-up will appear which requires you to select the identifier that you have for each customer, select your unique identifier that you're using to update the tag:
5. Select how you want the points to be added:
- Add imported points to customers points balance
> If you have your points column set as 0, no points will be added.
- Replace customers' current points balances with the imported points balance
> If you have your points column set as 0, all customers will have their points reset to 0.
6. Add your custom tag that you wish to include on the customer's profile and for segment purposes:
💡 Quick Tip: Marsello always automatically includes a tag to all imports with the date and time of the import unless you change the text in the box.
7. Click Upload CSV
8. Paste your copied columns into the space where you can manually enter your data:
9. The importer tool will not import any lines with errors, and will highlight these columns with red:
📝 Note: You can select to only show the rows with problems to make any necessary amendments. Otherwise, the import tool will ignore any columns with errors.
10. Scroll to the bottom of the pop-up and click Continue.
📝 Note: If your pasted data contains any errors, a pop-up will appear to allow you to Go Back or Continue and discard the errored rows.
11. Click Continue to start importing your data.
📝 Note: This import may take up to 4 hours, depending on the size of your database.
The CSV File will automatically start to import. When the import is complete, the group of customers' points balances will be updated. This manual points adjustment will display as a new line on the activity feed of the customer's profile.