Processing a return that contains a Marsello discount in Lightspeed Retail (X-Series)
In this article:
- Processing returns that contain a Marsello discount with Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) on Google Chrome
- Processing returns that contain a Marsello discount with Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) for iPad
- How to give the reward back to the customer
- This process is required for retailers using Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) POS on Google Chrome.
- Giving the reward back is an optional step depending on your store's individual policies.
- If you use Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) POS on a desktop or laptop computer, ensure you have installed the Google Chrome extension for Marsello on every computer you use in-store.
- OR If you use Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) POS on an iPad, ensure you have installed the Marsello iOS app for Lightspeed Retail (X-Series).
Processing returns on Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) POS on Google Chrome
1. From your Lightspeed Retails (X-Series) Sell Screen, navigate to Sales History
2. Search for the sale to be returned using the customer's name or receipt number
3. Click the circular arrow icon to the right of the Sale Status:
4. The original sale is then pushed into the Sell Screen with opposite values:
5. Use the Trash icon to remove products that the customer is not returning
6. Click Refund to complete the process. Choose the customer's payment method or process the refund as per your store's unique policies.
Depending on your store's tax settings, you may need to do this process manually:
Since Marsello adds the discount through the Marsello Discount product, the return must be processed manually on Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) in order to ensure the amount paid matches the amount to refund.
1. Add the customer to the sale through your Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) POS sales screen
2. Search and add the products your customer is returning to the sale.
3. Adjust the following product details to match the original purchase:
- Adjust the product quantity to a negative
- Update the price of the item to match the amount they paid
- Include the receipt number of the original transaction as a note
4. Click the Pay button to complete the transaction. You will be taken to the payment screen.
If the current register you are using is set up to print receipts, the receipt(s) will automatically be printed after refunding payment and hitting the Complete Sale button.
Processing returns that contain a Marsello discount with Lightspeed Retail (X-Series) for iPad
On iOS, Marsello is able to add the discount to a sale by applying the discount directly to the items in the sell screen. Returns are processed automatically and do not require any additional steps.
1. In Lightspeed Retail (X-Series), tap the menu icon in the top left corner
2. Tap Sales History
3. Locate the sale you need to return
4. Tap the circular arrow to the left of the sale details to initiate a return
5. The products and reward will appear on the screen to refund the amount paid by the customer:
6. Tap Refund to finalize the return.
If you wish to have the customer's points returned, continue to follow the next steps.
How to give the reward back to the customer
If the refund included a loyalty reward as part of the order, you'll need to refund the customer's loyalty points for that reward discount.
📝 Note: Adjusting the customer's points balance is an optional step depending on your store's individual policies.
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers
2. Search for the customer by Name or Email Address
3. Select the customer by clicking on their Name
4. Under their customer profile, click Adjust points balance
5. Enter the number of points the reward redeemed on the purchase was worth:
📝 Note: This is the same amount of points that were used to redeem the loyalty reward.
OPTIONAL: Choose to send the customer a Points Earned Email
If you would like to notify the customer of their updated points balance:
- Select the tick-box next to Send points notification email to customer?
- Add a short message in the text box to notify the customer why their points balance was updated e.g. Here are your loyalty points back that you used to redeem your reward.
💡 Pro tip: Include the sale number in the message so your customer has a record of what these points earned were from.
7. Click Apply points adjustment to confirm the points adjustment
The customer's points balance will automatically be updated. The manual points adjustment will display as a new line on the customer's activity feed.
If you chose to send a Points Earned Email, the customer will be notified of their new points balance.
8. Click Spend:
9. The Loyalty Widget will appear where you can spend the customer's points to give their reward back:
After clicking Redeem, the Reward will be added back to the customer's available Rewards so they can redeem it on another purchase.