🔓 Advanced reward options are unlocked on the Marsello Pro Plan.
✨ % off product collection - A % off discount that will apply to all products within a product collection.
Creating rewards is easy. There's no need to create discount codes - these are automatically generated when a customers spends their points to redeem the reward. Discount codes are unique and only work once.
📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the sale is over the spend threshold.
In this article:
How to create a % off a product collection reward in BigCommerce
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Loyalty > Rewards
2. Click Add Reward
3. Discount Type: Click Percentage Off in the drop-down
4. Reward Title: Give your reward a title that lets your customers know which specific product is discounted
5. Points required to redeem: Set the number of points a customer needs to spend to redeem your reward
6. Discount amount: Enter the % discount amount
7. Under Advanced options, go to Apply to all items in these categories. Check off the collection(s) you wish to include to redeem this reward:
8. Under Terms, enter the terms that you want your customers to abide by when using this reward
> Examples of terms to include with your loyalty rewards
9. Click Create
Your new reward will now show on the Rewards page of your loyalty widget and is ready for your customer to redeem.
Tips for success
- Get creative with your reward titles. Add variety and personality to your reward titles to create customer interest in redeeming rewards.
- Create three or more rewards to encourage members to earn more and more points to spend. A rewards ladder gives your members more flexibility to choose rewards they would like to earn points towards and encourages them to spend more in order to achieve higher point cost rewards.
- In-store - Make sure your staff know what your loyalty rewards are so they can inform customers at checkout. This will encourage your existing members to be active with the loyalty program, and new customers to join.
- Find out what rewards your members like - try creating rewards with different discount types and amounts and measure their success.
- It’s important to be sure you also include the relevant terms and conditions for rewards. Whether it's to encourage fair use or to protect your store, outlining exactly how and when your rewards can be redeemed ensures that your rewards are used as you intend them to be used.
How do members redeem % off product collection rewards?
- Online - The customers adds their products to their cart and their unique discount code to the discounts bar at checkout. If the order meets or exceeds the spend threshold, the reward discount is automatically applied to deduct the discount off. If the order is not over the spend threshold, the reward will not work.
- In-Store - This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the sale includes the correct items.
The customer will tell staff that they have a reward they would like to redeem. The staff member adds the product(s) to the sale, and assigns the customer.
The staff member needs to click redeem on the reward under the customer's account. There are no checks in place to make sure the product requirement(s) have been met.
Here's more detail on POS reward redemption.
Is the points cost removed from the customer's loyalty points balance when they claim a reward?
Yes, as soon as a reward is redeemed, the customer's points balance is adjusted, removing the points cost, to prevent them redeeming rewards they are not entitled to. This protects your store.
Why should I create rewards at different points costs?
A reward ladder entices your customers to earn points to spend on your rewards. It allows them to work towards a reward that is appealing to them and gives them the choice of the reward that they want the most. Loyalty programs with 3-5 rewards see greater success, in terms of customer engagement.
Can customers redeem more than one reward at a time?
Even if a customer has enough points to redeem multiple rewards, they can only use one reward discount code at checkout at a time.
How it works online - Your customers' experience
Your customers redeem their discount code at checkout as they normally would, however, if the order does not contain items from the collection(s), they'll get the message "Your cart does not meet the requirements for the discount code" and they wont be able to apply the discount until they add products from the specific collection(s).
📝 Note: It's important that the title and the terms of your reward make it clear what the collection is, so that your customers understand how to redeem it.