Ensure the Marsello Discount Product is Taxable for Vend POS
When you connect Marsello to your Vend POS, a Marsello Discount Product is created in your Vend Product list. This product is then used to add a discount or reward to your customer's purchase.
This product is created and set to Default Sales Tax in Vend.
In this article:
- How to check and update the Marsello Discount Product in Vend
- How It Works - Your Customer's Experience
How to check and update the Marsello Discount Product in Vend
1. Log into your Vend account as a user with permissions to edit products.
2. Navigate to your Products page and search for the Marsello Discount Product:
3. Click the pencil icon to edit the product.
4. Within the Edit Product page, scroll down to the Tax section and ensure that your Marsello Discount Product Tax settings are correct for each outlet:
5. If you made any updates to the product, click Save in the top right corner to update your tax settings.
⚠️ Important: If you have updated the tax settings in Vend, it is important that you Reset Data to ensure the update syncs to your Vend POS.
How It Works - Your Customers' Experience
If the Tax setting on the Marsello Discount Product is set to No Tax, your customers will be paying more tax and your reporting will not properly reconcile.
When the Marsello Discount Product is set to No Tax, the customer pays taxes on the original price of all products before the discount is applied.
When the Marsello Discount Product is set to a specific sales tax or Default Sales Tax, the customer pays the taxes on the discounted price of the products as long as they are sold at the same tax rate.
The Discount is then calculated with a negative value (for example, -$0.65) to ensure that the customer pays the correct tax % on their total when the tax rates match (for example, "HST" is the Default Sales Tax for all products in the sale).