Tagging customers in Marsello
In this article:
How to tag an individual customer in Marsello
1. In your Marsello admin, navigate to Customers > All Customers
2. Search for the customer by name or email address
3. Under the customer's details, click Edit
This will open a pop-up where you can edit the customer's details.
4. Under Custom tags, click into the text box and enter your desired Tag Name
5. Click Save
The customer's profile will automatically be tagged with your custom tag and will be displayed under the customer's details.
How to tag a group of customers in Marsello
In order to bulk tag a group of customers, you will need to use Marsello's Import Points feature.
📝 Note: Following these steps will not duplicate any customers' account, and will not add points to the customer. It will match the customer's unique identifier and then add a custom tag to their profile.
Prepare your CSV file ready to import into Marsello
If you have a specific list of customers that you want to tag from your POS/eCommerce platform or previous email marketing tool, please get an export and then follow the below steps to format it ready for the Marsello importer.
1. Start a blank spreadsheet with two columns:
- The First Column can be set up with one of the following identifiers:
- Vend customer ID
- Shopify customer ID
- The Second Column should be Points.
2. Enter the unique identifier (for example, the below screenshot is using the Marsello ExportId) of the customers' who you want to tag with your custom tag.
- If you do not wish to add any points, ensure that the points column has 0 next to each identifier.
3. Copy the two columns to your clipboard.
Import your data into Marsello
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers > All Customers
2. Click Actions in the top right corner
3. In the drop-down select Import points
4. A pop-up will appear which requires you to select the identifier that you have for each customer, select your unique identifier that you're using to update the tag:
5. Select how you want the points to be added:
- Add imported points to customers' points balance
> If you have your points column set as 0's, no points will be added.
- Replace customers' current points balances with the imported points balance
> If you have your points column set as 0's, all customers will have their points reset to 0.
6. Add the custom tag that you wish to include on the customer's profile and for segment purposes:
💡 Quick Tip: Marsello always automatically includes a tag to all imports with the date and time of the import unless you change the text in the box.
6. Click Upload CSV
7. Paste your copied columns into the space where you can manually enter your data:
8. The importer tool will not import any lines with errors, and will highlight these columns with red:
📝 Note: You can select to only show the rows with problems to make any necessary amendments. Otherwise, the import tool will ignore any columns with errors.
9. Scroll to the bottom of the pop-up and click Continue.
📝 Note: If your pasted data contains any errors, a pop-up will appear to allow you to Go Back or Continue and discard the errored rows.
The update will automatically start to import. When the import is complete, the group of customers will be tagged with your custom tag.
📝 Note: This import may take up to 4 hours, depending on the size of your database.
How to use customer tag(s) to create a custom segment
1. In your Marsello admin, navigate to Customers > Segments
2. Click Create Segment
3. Name your custom segment
4. Click the First Name drop-down to add your first segment condition
5. In the Select Condition drop-down, select Custom Tags
6. Next to the Custom Tags field, select is as the operator
7. Then, select your custom tag
8. Optional: Click Add Condition to add another condition to your segment
- You can add as many conditions as you'd like.
- Choose between AND/OR to determine whether the conditions need to include both sets of data or just one.
9. Click Preview Segment to see a sample of the customers who meet your segment conditions
📝 Note: Only customers who have accepted marketing will populate into your custom segments.
10. Click Save and Create Segment
Your segment will then be created and added to your Segments. It will also appear as an option when choosing your audience for Email or SMS Campaigns as well as in Automated Emails/SMS messages.