Staff Training - How to add customers to your program in-store with Heartland Retail POS
In this article:
- How to add a new customer to your Heartland Retail POS account
> How to update the customer's accepts marketing preference
- How it works – Your customers' experience
- Find the new customer in your Marsello admin
- To use Marsello on your Heartland Retail POS, please enable the required sites under the Integrations page.
How to add a new customer to your Marsello customer database
To add a new customer to your Marsello customer database, all you need to do is add the customer to the sale in Heartland Retail POS.
1. Add the customer's products that they want to buy to the sale.
2. On the sales screen, click Add a customer
4. Add your new customer's First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Mobile Number*
5. Click Add and the customer will then be added to the sale
How to update the customer's accepts marketing preference
When a new customer makes a purchase in-store, the staff member will ask if they would like to create a store account. It is very important that during this process, the staff member asks the customer if they want to receive marketing sent via email and SMS.
By default, customers do not accept marketing, they need to opt-in to be able to receive marketing sent via Marsello.
6. Click Show Rewards button to open the customer's loyalty & marketing profile
7. Update the accepts marketing setting:
If the customer accepts marketing via email and SMS:
The staff member will switch the Accepts Marketing? toggle to ON.
If the customer does not accept marketing:
The staff member will ensure the Accepts Marketing toggle is set to OFF
By default, the customer does not accept marketing, so there is nothing additional that the staff member needs to do.
8. Click Return to sale
The customer will be automatically added/updated to your Marsello database and will not be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store.
9. Complete the sale
The customer will be automatically added to your Marsello customer database, including their details, accepts marketing preference, and sales data.
How it works – Your customers' experience
After you have completed the sale, your customer will be added to your Marsello customer database.
- The customer will automatically earn loyalty points for their purchase. They will also receive the Earned Points loyalty notification email (if turned on).
- If the customer accepts marketing, they'll be able to receive your next marketing campaign and automation.
Find the new customer in your Marsello admin
After the sale is completed, the customer will automatically be added to your Heartland Retail POS and Marsello customer lists. Please note this can take up to 15 minutes for the sync to complete.
1. In your Marsello admin, go to Customers
2. Search for the customer by name or email address
3. Click the customer's name to open their profile
Under the customer's profile, you can:
- See profile details (name, email, mobile, marketing status synced from Heartland Retail POS)
- See purchase details (ticket number, date, and loyalty points calculation summary)
- Manage their account (adjust their points balance, unsubscribe them from emails, remove them from your customer list, etc)