🔓 SMS Campaigns are coming soon as an add-on feature to the Marsello Pro Plan.
As mentioned in the SMS Marketing Compliance Introduction and GDRP Introduction, to collect SMS and Email Marketing opt-in from your customers, there may be some changes that you need to make to your staff training processes for how to sign-up new customers at Vend POS.
In this article
- How customers opt-in to marketing via Marsello's sign-up forms
- How customers opt-in to marketing in-store via Vend POS
Before you get started
Here are some things to know:
- For Marsello to collect mobile numbers as subscribers for SMS messages, you will need to make sure that your staff members are asking the customer if they want to receive SMS and email marketing from your store (more details below).
- Vend’s “Opt-In to Receive Marketing and Promotional Emails” consent on the customer profile will impact both email and SMS subscription. This means that if the customer accepts marketing and the staff member turn this setting on, then the customer is agreeing to receive promotional email and SMS messages from your store.
- TCIA prohibits any illegal or improper promotion to persons under 18 years of age. Based on the practices and standards of your industry and community, you will need to discourage visitors under a certain age from creating an account at your store.
- In addition to that we advise you to always include the ability for customers to opt-out from receiving marketing. By default, Marsello automatically includes an 'unsubscribe' link on all email templates and 'Reply STOP to unsubscribe' on all SMS templates.
We also still encourage you to consult a legal advisor familiar with GDPR, TCPA and TCIA before gathering contacts or sending promotional emails or text messages.
How customers opt-in to marketing via Marsello's sign-up forms
Marsello's landing page form template comes with a text disclaimer that lets the customer know that by submitting the form, they are opting-in to receive both transactional and promotional email and SMS messages from your store.
*I agree to receive transactional and promotional emails and text messages (to the email address and phone number provided). Consent is not a condition to purchase. You can opt-out or change your email and SMS preferences anytime.
📖 Learn More: How to create sign-up forms in Marsello.
⚠️ Important: If you are using another app for sign-up forms, it is very important to update your forms to also include a disclaimer that lets the customer know that by submitting the form, they are opting-in to receive both email and SMS marketing from your store.
How customers opt-in to marketing in-store via Vend POS
When a new customer makes a purchase in-store, the staff member will ask if they would like to create a store account. It is very important that during this process the staff member asks the customer if they want to receive marketing sent via email and SMS.
If the customer accepts marketing via email and SMS:
The staff member will enter their name, email address, mobile number and then update their Opt-In to Receive Marketing and Promotional Emails to ON.
The customer will then be automatically added to your Vend and Marsello database, and they will be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store.
If the customer doesn't accept marketing:
The staff member will enter their name, email address, mobile number and make sure their Opt-In to Receive Marketing and Promotional Emails remains OFF.
The customer will be automatically added to your Vend and Marsello database, but will not be eligible to receive email and SMS marketing from your store.
When you have made all of the above updates, in order to get the customer's permission so they can receive marketing emails and SMS from your store, you then need to confirm that you've made the changes in Marsello.
1. In your Marsello Admin, under Campaigns > SMS Campaign
3. Click Create SMS Campaign
🎉 Congratulations you can now start collecting customers' consent to receive email and SMS marketing via Marsello and Vend POS
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended to be educational and should not be construed as legal advice. Marsello encourages all of our users — and all merchants – to seek legal advice for counsel on how they specifically should prepare for GDPR, TCPA and TCIA.