Create custom segments so that you can take targeting even further for your email campaigns. For example, you could create a segment of customers who have made a purchase from a specific product collection, from a specific sign-up form, from loyal customers who haven't purchased recently or whatever you like.
In this article:
- What is a segment?
- Segment options
- How to create a custom segment
What is a segment?
A segment is a group of your customers defined by conditions (or rules) that you set. Customers are automatically added to the segment every time the customer updates to match those conditions.
You can choose to create broad customer segments, or get create really targeted segments depending on the conditions that you set.
You can create segments based on 5 condition groups:
- Customer profile data
- Purchase data
- Loyalty program data
- Feedback data
- Email Marketing data
1. Customer profile data
Allows you to segment by first name, last name, gender, account creation date, and more.
2. Purchase data
Allows you to segment by the customer's purchase data such as last purchase date, total number of purchases, what products they've previously purchased, what site the customer purchased from and more.
📝 Please note: purchase data does not include historical orders from before Marsello was installed.
3. Loyalty program data
Allows you to segment your customers by their loyalty program details, such as, Current Points Balance, Total Points Collected and Current VIP Tier (if Loyalty program and VIP Program are enabled).
4. Feedback data
Allows you to segment your customers by their Feedback Satisfaction Ratings and Last Feedback Received Date (if Feedback is enabled).
5. Email marketing data
Allows you to segment your customers based on which sign-up form they joined your mailing list through and also your customers engagement with your email campaigns.
How to create a custom segment
1. In the App admin, go to Customers within your navigation menu, then click 'Segments'
2. Click 'Create Segment'
3. Name your custom segment
4. Click 'Select Condition' to add your first segment condition
5. Select the 'field name' that you would like to segment your customers by from the 'Select Condition' drop-down.
6. Next to the field, select the operator that you'd like to use.
📝 Please note: There are different types of operators depending on the field name, for example:
- True or false based field names have: Is and Is not
- Date based field names have: Is, Is not, before, after, between, X days ago.
- Number based field names have: Is, Is not, greater than, less than, and between.
7. Then, select or enter the value
📝 Please note: There are different types of values depending on the field name, for example:
- True or false based field names enter the value e.g. site name
- Date based field names select a date in the date picker
- Number based field names enter a number value
8. Click 'Add Condition' to add another segment condition
You can add as many conditions to your segment as you like.
6. Click 'Preview Segment' to see a sample of the customers who meet your segment conditions
In the preview, you can see how many customers currently meet the segment conditions and also see an example list of these customers.
7. Click 'Save and Create Segment'
Your segment will then be created and added to your Segments dashboard.