🔓 Custom Email Domain is unlocked on the Marsello Pro Plan
Internet Service Providers (ISPs), like Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft, use DKIM and SPF authentication as a way to scan incoming emails for spam or spoofed addresses. Emails that fail authentication are more likely to arrive in a spam or junk folder.
To help ensure your emails reach your customers' inboxes, you can set up custom DKIM authentication for your domain, and add Marsello to your SPF record.
Before you get started
Here are some things to know before you begin this process:
- Custom domain authentication is optional for Marsello retailers.
- To set up authentication, you need to change some account settings with your DNS provider. If you don't know who your DNS provider is, reach out to your hosting service.
- If you don't have a custom email domain yet, here's some useful resources on how to do this:
> How to buy a domain name.
> Buying a domain through Shopify.
In this article:
- Verify your custom email domain in Marsello
- Authenticate your custom email domain in your Domain Provider
- How it works – Your customers' experience
Verify your custom email domain in Marsello
If you have custom email domain, you can verify your email domain in Marsello.
1. In your Marsello admin, navigate to: http://app.marsello.com/Manage/Settings/senderdomains.
2. Click Verify A Domain.
3. Under 'EMAIL ADDRESS', enter an email address that contains the custom email domain that you want to verify.
You will then be sent an email with a unique verification code.
4. In your email inbox, open your email with the subject line "Verify Your Domain Before Sending".
5. Click Verify Domain Access to automatically verify your email domain or copy the unique verification code from your email.
If you click through the call-to-action button your custom domain will automatically be verified. Please skip ahead to the next section.
If you copied the unique verification code, please continue following the steps below.
6. In your Marsello admin, under Domains, your email domain will be listed as Pending. Click Enter Code.
7. Enter your unique verification code.
8. Click Verify.
Your email domain will then be verified in Marsello.
Authenticate your email domain in your Domain Provider
To improve your email deliverability rates, authenticate your domain. This will allow you to send your Campaigns, Automations and Loyalty Notification emails from your own domain.
1. Next to your verified domain, click Authenticate.
2. Enter the name of your domain provider.
3. Select the preferred authentication type of your domain provider:
- CNAME (most common)
📝 Note: If you are unsure of what your domain provider requires, please see the help articles below, or contact their customer support team.
3. Click Authenticate.
The details that you need to add in to your Domain Provider as new records will now display like this:
Your Domain Provider will then ask for these details to create new DNS records. Each of these rows needs to be added as a new record.
- Type: CNAME
- Host: em8285
- Data: u8056962.wl213.sendgrid.net
4. In your Domain Provider, edit your DNS Records.
📝 Note: This step confirms that you are allowing Marsello to send emails from your domain on your behalf.
Here are some instructions for editing DNS records with popular domain providers. If your service isn't listed here, log in to your provider's site and search their help articles, or contact their customer support team.
- Amazon Web Services: Configuring DNS, Resource Record Types
- Dreamhost: DNS Overview
- GoDaddy: Add a CNAME Record
- Google Domains: DNS Basics
- Hetnzer: Manage DNS records
- Hostgator: Manage DNS records
- Hover: Edit DNS Record
- Namecheap: SPF & DKIM
- Shopify: View or edit the DNS settings for a domain
- Squarespace: Advanced DNS Settings
- Stablehost: How do I get to cpanel?
- 1&1: Domain Guidelines
5. In your Domain Provider, add / edit your SPF Record.
📝 Note: This process confirms to Marsello's email service provider (SendGrid) can send the email on your behalf.
- If you have an SPF record set for your root domain (i.e. yourdomain.com), you must add
include:sendgrid.netbefore the all mechanism of this record. If you do not have an SPF record for your domain you must create a TXT record with the value:
v=spf1 include:sendgrid.net ~all
⚠️ Important: Do not create more than one SPF record for a given domain.
If you need more than one SPF record, you will want to merge the additional SPF records into a single SPF record.
- If you already have a SPF record for your domain. You would just need to add our lookup at the end of the string, before the
~allmechanism, like so:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:sendgrid.net ~all
📖 Keep reading: SPF and sender authentication for SendGrid
6. In Marsello, once you have edited your DNS & SPF records:
- Select the "I have installed the following records with my domain provider" and click Confirm.
Your domain is being authenticated. This can take up to 48 hours for the records to update.
Once the authenticated process is complete. Your Campaigns, Automations and Loyalty Notification emails will now be sent from your own email domain.
How it works – Your customers' experience
Your customers will now receive emails from your custom email domain. In their inbox they will still see your Sender Name.
Within the email, they will be able to see that it was sent from your custom email domain.