🔓 Advanced reward options are unlocked on the Marsello Pro Plan.
✨ Free product – Giving your members a free product is a great way to thank them for their loyalty. It delights them by creating the same feelings as receiving a gift. It’s also a great way to move idle stock.
📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the item is added to the sale.
In this article:
- How to create a free product reward
- Tips for success
How to create a free product reward
- In your Marsello admin, go to Loyalty > Rewards
2. Click Add Reward
3. Coupon Type: click Free Product (online only) in the drop-down
📝 Note: Do not select % off to create a 100% off discount, as this will mean that if the member adds the item to the cart multiple times, they will get them all for free.
Add the details of your reward:
4. Reward Title: give your reward a title that lets your members know which product is free and gets them excited to redeem it
5. Discount amount: enter the product's retail price
6. Points cost: set the number of points a member needs to spend to redeem your reward
7. Go to Choose product and start typing in the name of the product that the reward refers to. The field will provide you with options so you can select the specific product.
8. Under Terms, enter any terms that you want your members to abide by when using this reward
💡 Top tip: It's a good idea to add a little instruction here - "Please add the item to your cart before checkout."
9. Click Create
Your new reward will now show on the Rewards page of your loyalty widget and is ready for your members to redeem.
📝 Note: When stock of this product runs out, you'll need to remember to update this reward.
Tips for success
- Get creative with your reward titles. Add variety and personality to your reward titles to create customer interest in redeeming rewards.
- Create three or more rewards to encourage members to earn more and more points to spend. A rewards ladder gives your members more flexibility to choose rewards they would like to earn points towards and encourages them to spend more in order to achieve higher point cost rewards.
- In-store – Make sure your staff know what your loyalty rewards are so they can inform customers at checkout. This will encourage your existing members to be active with the loyalty program, and new customers to join.
- Find out what rewards your members like - try creating rewards with different discount types and amounts and measure their success.
- It’s important to be sure you also include the relevant terms and conditions for rewards. Whether it's to encourage fair use or to protect your store, outlining exactly how and when your rewards can be redeemed ensures that your rewards are used as you intend them to be used.
Does the points cost get taken away from their balance when they redeem a reward? Yes, as soon as a reward is redeemed, the members points balance is adjusted, removing the points cost, to prevent them redeeming rewards they are not entitled to. This protects your store.
Why should I create rewards at different points costs? A reward ladder entices your members to earn points to spend on your rewards. It allows them to work towards a reward that is appealing to them and gives them the choice of the reward that they want the most. Loyalty programs with 3-5 rewards see greater success, in terms of customer engagement.
How do members redeem rewards?
> How members redeem rewards online with Shopify eCommerce
> How members redeem rewards online with BigCommerce
What other types of rewards can I create? You can read more about the 10 types of rewards and how to create them here
How does the reward ladder work?
A rewards ladder gives your members more flexibility to choose which rewards they would like to earn points towards and redeem. Loyalty programs with 3 - 5 rewards show better results than those with 1 reward, i.e. their members are more engaged with their loyalty programs, their reward redemption statistics are higher, and their member spend is greater. Read more about how your reward ladder works.
Can members redeem more than one reward at a time? Even if a member has enough points to redeem multiple rewards, they can only use one reward discount code at checkout at a time. This is set by Shopify to prevent discount stacking.
Can a member redeem their discount code more than once? No, reward discount codes are unique and only available for one time use.